Little-Known Facts About Papua!


Okay, now we will discuss about Papua. A beautiful area at the eastern end of Greater Indonesia. Papua is a province that is very rich in minerals, forests, and other natural resources.


What do you know about Papua so far? The songs “Apuse” and “Yamko Rambe Yamko”? Snow at Puncak Jaya? or about PT Freeport which produces a lot of gold? That’s all right?


In fact, Papua is cooler and more interesting than we know.


Papua is no longer a backward region; several areas in Papua have been turned into modern towns complete with malls, cinemas, and big skyscrapers.


Furthermore, Papua still has a lot of uniqueness that we believe you were unaware of.


As an Indonesian, you must know that this easternmost province of Indonesia contains distinct facts. This is the review!


Papuan people are very diverse


Although the Papua region is widely known for its population, the majority of which are Melanesian, in fact the number of indigenous Papuans is not that much.


Only 52% of the population are indigenous, while the remaining 48% are non-Papuans, such as Javanese, Kalimantan, Sulawesi, Maluku, and others.


It’s not just a matter of ethnicity, the religion adhered to by the Papuan population is also very diverse, so the sense of tolerance and solidarity is so strong in this area. All followers of different religions live side by side peacefully in Papua. 


1/5 of the world’s languages ​​are in Papua


Do all Papuans look alike? Despite the fact that there are hundreds of tribes there.


Each tribe also has its own language which makes it rich in language heritage. It is estimated that there are nearly 300 languages ​​in Papua.


As a result, experts believe that Papua is home to 20% of the world’s languages.


So, what about the use of Indonesian? Of course they are used too, it’s just that they speak quite standardly.


You won’t have to worry if you go there.. The majority of people living in remote areas in Papua even speak Indonesian well. So, you can converse easily.


Papua is a silent witness to World War II


Papua has always been a bone of contention because of its large territory and abundant natural resources, including during World War II.


At that time, allied troops led by the US and Japan fought over Papua. That is why the land of Papua is a silent witness to history.


Many identification necklaces belonging to American servicemen who perished in Papua were discovered during excavations by local villagers as a result of the conflict. Then, in the 90s, the necklace had become a unique souvenir for young Papuan children.


Mop, Papuan Culture of Humor


What is it, Mop? Maybe you are still unfamiliar with Mop which can be interpreted as a joke known by word of mouth.


Mop is often referred to as Papua’s stand-up comedy and has become a deep-rooted culture in its society.


Because of this thick culture, almost every Papuan shares the latest Mop during get-togethers.


One of the famous examples of Fools is the one that was trending on YouTube, namely “Epenkaah?”, “Cupen toh!” You must have heard of it, right?


UNESCO has recognized Noken as a world cultural heritage

Do you know about the traditional Papuan bags that are worn on the head? Guys, it’s called Noken.


Noken constructed of bark fiber is truly one-of-a-kind and is often used to transport various needs and agricultural goods. In addition to being unique in that it is carried on the head, Noken has a deep philosophical meaning for the Papuans, serving as a symbol of a good life, serenity, and fertility.


Furthermore, Noken can only be created by Papuan women. On December 4, 2012, finally UNESCO classified Noken as an intangible cultural asset due to its intriguing traits and history.