Quality Assessment of Health Facilities in Rural West Papua

Health Development

West Papua is located in the bird’s head area of ​​Tanah Papua, which is directly adjacent to the Pacific Ocean, the Banda Sea, and the Maluku Sea. As a strategic area, the government has paid more attention to the health development in this area, especially in rural areas.

One of their steps is the provision of National Health Insurance (JKN). In 2017, the value reached 1,199,021, followed by the Penerima Bantuan Iuran (PBI) National Budget (APBN) and Local Government Budget (APBD).

The value follows the total population growth in the West Papua region, where the average population growth from 2010-2017 was 2.8%, while the population density in the West Papua region was between 1-354 people per km. However, the human development figure in West Papua Province is in the second bottom of all provinces in Indonesia.

Low Life Expectancy Rate

Health Development

The health development in West Papua Province is still low according to Life Expectancy Rate (LEB) data. In 2017, LEB in West Papua Province reached 65.32 years, which means that the average population of West Papua can live up to the age of 65 to 66 years.

The percentage should always increase every year. Even though it is classified as very slow, on a national scale alone, the average 2017 AHH increased by 0.23%, while in West Papua Province it was only 0.03%.

Environmental Factors

One of the factors that are seen to measure the quality of health development is the environment. To describe the state of the environment, here are some indicators that are needed to conclude what the environment is like in West Papua Province, particularly in rural areas.

  • Drinking-Water Facilities

2015 data shows that West Papua Province has at least 48.77% of clean water facilities, while the remaining 51.23% does not have clean water facilities.

  • Source of Drinking Water

According to the 2014 census data, it shows that 78.62% of households in West Papua Province use protected drinking water sources (bottled water, tap water, pumps, wells, and protected springs and rainwater). Meanwhile, the remaining 21.38% still consume unprotected drinking water.

  • Defecation Facility

92.74% of the population in West Papua Province now has a facility for defecating, while 7.27% does not have a facility for defecating including in rural areas.

10 Most Common Diseases in West Papua

Health development progress always has obstacles. The following are the top 10 diseases that have been released by the Health centers and hospitals in the West Papua region:

NoDiseaseNumber of Case
2.Toddler Pneumonia356
3.HIV / AIDS / Syphilis728
7.Dengue Fever (DHF)163
10.IVA Positive87


Meanwhile, here are some infectious diseases that are being attempted to be found early and quickly and through the treatment of sufferers.

  • Tuberculosis (tuberculosis)
  • ARI / Pneumonia
  • HIV / AIDS
  • Leprosy
  • AFP / Acute Withered Paralyzed

Among the diseases above, several diseases have the potential to become an outbreak/extraordinary event, such as Dengue Fever (DHF), Diarrhea, Malaria, and Filariasis. As well as non-communicable diseases (PTM), including Hypertension, Obesity/overweight, and Cervical and breast examination.

The community and the government must continue to work side by side for the success of health development in West Papua Province so that the surrounding community can have a more prosperous standard of life.

The Government Efforts

As mentioned above, the government continues to make efforts to improve the existing health conditions in the area. Here are some health development efforts in the West Papua Province, including the rural areas:

  1. Maternal and Infant Health Services, include:

  • Antenatal Services (K1 and K4)
  • Delivery Assistance by Health Workers with Midwifery Competencies
  • Neonate Visits
  • Baby Visit
  1. School-Age Health Services

The program is expected to solve adolescent problems and give a good influence, as well as increase access to information and adolescent health services. The health workers at the Public health center (Puskesmas) need to have special skills and knowledge so that adolescents can comfortably express their health problems.

  1. Family Planning Services

In November 2019, the Head of the National Population and Family Planning Agency (BKKBN) visited Udopi KB Village in West Manokwari District. With residents, he discussed and provided education to the community about the importance of family planning.

  1. Immunization Services

Data from the Ministry of Health noted that as of September 26 2018 West Papua was the province that had the highest MR immunization coverage, and also became the first province with coverage reaching 95% of the target. This is one of the high achievements in West Papua health development.

Also, the government creates a referral health service program; patients with health problems are served on an outpatient basis while patients with moderate to severe illness will receive inpatient services or referral to a larger hospital.


The health development in rural West Papua certainly cannot be separated from the participation of the community and the government which continues to work together to make the surrounding environment healthy and comfortable.

1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. West Papua Conservation Province: Efforts and Challenges

Comments are closed.