West Papua Population Density in 2020/2021

West Papua Population
Sumber : Berita Papua

Indonesia is an archipelago located at the south-eastern part of Asia. It has around 17.504 islands, including 5 main islands namely Java, Sumatra, Sulawesi, Kalimantan and Papua. The densest island up to date is the Java Island. How about Papua Island? Papua Island is divided into 2 province, Papua and West Papua. This article will briefly elaborate West Papua population density as it is developing with tourism. Let’s start with its geographical condition.

Geographical Condition

West Papua Population
Sumber : Suara Karya

West Papua is located at the Bird’s Head Peninsula, also including the Bomberai Peninsula. It has a vast area of 102.955,15 square kilometers with 12 regencies and 1 city. The 12 regencies are Fakfak, Kaimana, Wondama Bay, Bintuni Bay, Manokwari, South Manokwari, South Sorong, Tambrauw, Maybrat, and Arfak. The 1 and only city is the Sorong city, yes there is a Sorong regency and a Sorong city. The capital of West Papua is Manokwari, it is located at the north-eastern side of the Bird’s Head Peninsula.

The climate is pretty much the same as Papua, which is tropical. Rainfall often comes with varying conditions each season. The province is rich in karst with many caves. Apart from that, it also has many mountain areas and lakes. A few notable lakes include, Lake Ayamaru, Anggi Giji Lake, Anggi Gita Lake, Lake Yamur and Lake Yawasi.

Population Rate

In 2019, the West Papua population rate is classified as high, making it in the fourth position nationally. The birth rate had reached 3.2% per year out of the total population, meaning that every family is estimated to have 3 to 4 children. This situation was concerning because it takes a huge responsibility to raise them. Apart from that, a proper planning needs to be done first, such as welfare, education and the future of those children. Therefore, further family counseling is still needed.

Population Census 2020

Based on the population census conducted in September 2020 by the Central Bureau of Statistics, there is a total of 1.13 million people living in West Papua. There is an increase of 375,65 thousand people since 2010, making it 3.94% increase of people per year. Due to transmigration, there are non-Papuan living in West Papua, about 15.45%, while the remaining 84.55% are Papuans. 

The productive age of West Papua population is indeed higher than the non-productive. Around 64,40 % are on their productive age. Making the workforce to have higher potentials as there are many occupations that can be done, such are agriculture, farming, fishery and tourism. 

As for the ratio of gender, the total population of men is 597.128 people, or 52.65% of the total population. Meanwhile the total population of women is 536.940 people, or 47.35% of the total population. This means that there are 111 men population per 100 women population.

Population Distribution

The Central Bureau of Statistics stated that the West Papua population density is as much as 11 million per square kilometers, this figure has risen from the previous census which is 7 million per square kilometers. The densest regency is Sorong with 284.41 thousand people, followed by Manokwari with 192.66 thousand people.

Even though Manokwari is the capital, Sorong remains as the largest city. Making it the logistics hub of oil and gas of Indonesia, meaning there is a possibility of employment compared to other regencies. Besides, it is also the gateway to the famous Raja Ampat Islands, one of the main tourism objects known by many people around the world. From those geographical conditions, we can see why Sorong is a promising city to be in.

That is a quick information of West Papua population density in 2020/2021 along with its geographical condition. Apart from the main islands, there are many small habited islands surrounding it as well, such as Misool, Waigeo, Gag, Gam, Salawati, Bantata and Kofiau. Hope this article serves you well!